3.13.2007

Completed: Squirrely Swedish Mittens

mittens front
front


mittens back
back

Specs:

Started: 12.25.06
Finished: 2.19.07
Pattern source: Elliphantom Knits, free pattern
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette, 1 skein each of Petal and Fog
Needles: Knit Picks DPNs and Knit Picks Classic Circular in 32", all size 1

I took a bunch of pictures and these were the best I got at the time--we don't really get good sunlight, um, ever. If I feel incredibly motivated, maybe I will try to take more pictures later.

This was my first time trying stranded color knitting. I thought this was a good, fun pattern on which to learn it. As you can tell, I had some difficulties--the mitten on the left is at least an inch taller (and significantly wider) than the one on the right. Oops, hehe. It's also very puckered. The one on the right is as well, but it's not quite as bad. I'm not going to go back and redo them either, because I am not a perfectionist knitter*. I do it for fun, and going back and re-knitting something is not fun to me--if I wanted great mittens, I would go buy some.

This was also my first time using Knit Picks Palette. I thought it was a good yarn, definitely for the price ($1.99/skein). It wasn't very soft, but then again I don't think yarns intended for stranded work are supposed to be soft, unless I'm mistaken. I thought the colors were good and vibrant for Knit Picks.

I also tried out two sets of Knit Picks needles in knitting this (and this is probably much of the cause of the size discrepancy). For the mitten on the left, I used aluminum DPNs. I found that to be kind of difficult (owing not in a small part to the fact that they were metal and not wood, which would have been smarter--duh). I knitted the one on the right with a circular needle using the Magic Loop method. I found that to be quite a bit easier, and then I didn't have to worry about two joins. Also, I was fairly impressed with the quality of the Classic Circular needles, though they don't quite measure up to the standard of Addi Turbos, IMO.

*Note: I am not insulting anyone--merely pointing out how all of us are looking to get different things out of knitting!

Labels:


Comments:
You're so talented! I picked up knitting a couple of years ago to knit my newborn cousin a pair of booties. She's almost four now (and now has newborn sister)and that tiny pair has yet to be completed! It's a lot of fun but i just really lack the patience :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]